Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Watch and Wait is over

My Dad has been on watch and wait now for over 5 years. And the decided to start treatment in July, Last Wednesday I took my Dad to U of M Cancer Center where he was to be given Rituxin and Chemotherapy. I have been nervous about him putting these chemicals in hi sbody – he’s in great shape and I cant see him filling his veins up with all these toxins… We arrived and they had his whol order wrong- it was complete chaos and then it happened… I freaked out on everyone, I couldn’t believe this happened, we are at one of the best cancer centers in the country and they didn’t even have his order right? And were ready to start treatment without him meeting with a skills nurse to go over “what to expect” I lost it. But it worked, it seems that freaking out and yelling at them is what they needed. My poor Dad just made a difficult decision and these creeps were freaking him out, none the less me yelling didn’t make it any better. Eeeh, you live and you learn.
As I am sitting there watching my father (the strongest person in my life) start Rituxin at 22 cc and then 44, then 66, then 77- Houston we have a problem, his body went into shock and he started itching everywhere, rash on his face, neck and groin area… 6 nurses run into the room and giving him shots of steroids, Benadryl and hooked him up to a drip, I sat in the chair telling myself “he’s going to be fine” why was I calm and no one else wasn’t? I was scared but I remember being calm, and knowing that he was going to be fine. We waited an hour and began treatment again, same thing we got to 77 and BOOM shock again… Another hour and we start again and no shock. After the Rituxin was given he was given Treanda i.e. chemotherapy. This whole procedure took over 12 hours, my Dad was in great spirits as we packed up to leave. He kept saying to me “you see and hear people talk about treatment, but you really never understand, til’ its you in the chair” I could relate to that I have had friends whose parents have battled cancer but you really don’t understand until its you… 

Days have passed since his first treatment, and I am glad to say he’s a trooper. He was very lucky not to get sick…

No comments:

Post a Comment